The winter school targets German university alumni from developing countries (DAC country nationals) who are professionally involved in production, handling, transport, processing, marketing, certification, accreditation or legislation in the field of organic agriculture and in the framework of rural or urban, public or private sector development, and/or who are working for public bodies or private enterprises, academic, educational or development organizations. Participants should be multipliers in a position to spread the acquired knowledge and experience and/or take decisions on implementation.
The winter school will promote exchange between the participants in the field of organic production and produces, facilitate international scientific cooperation and qualify the participants in the field of quality management along organic agri-value chains. The winter school will foster exchange of experiences, establishment of international networks between the participants, scientific discourse on organic agri-value chains, and international academic cooperation in this field. It will stimulate and promote ideas for joint research, strategy development and knowledge transfer.
The main topics covered during the winter school are:
- Principles of organic agriculture (production and processing of organic products)
- Status-quo and capacity analysis of organic agri-value chains in participants home countries
- Agricultural value chains in developing countries – reduction of losses (volume/quality/value) and opportunities for additional value creation
- International standards for organic products Local and national
- Standards for organic products in participants home countries and strategies for export market access
- Quality of organic products – methods of quality assessments (laboratory measurements, sensor technology)
- Standards for food safety and quality management systems
- Marketing of organic products – regional and international value chains and the organization of smallholders in developing countries
- Business plan development for enterprises within the organic sector
The Program in Witzenhausen
The program will include:
- Papers and case studies presented by the participants (alumni) and invited experts
- Group work and group discussions
- Lectures, seminars and practical workshops
- Excursions to organic and fair trade producers and retailers and to the university’s extension farm Frankenhausen
Following costs will be covered from DAAD funds:
All other costs, such as transport costs from participants’ home town to their home airport or travel costs for visa application in the home country have to be borne by the participants.
- International return ticket (to Frankfurt and from Frankfurt)
- Transport from Frankfurt airport to Witzenhausen (by train)
- Transport from Witzenhausen to the hotel in Nürnberg, for the visit of the “BioFach2014” (by bus)
- Transport from the hotel in Nürnberg to Frankfurt Airport
- Entrance fees and transport to the visited projects during the excursions
- Accommodation and partly living expenses during the stay in Witzenhausen and Nürnberg
- Travel health insurance and visa costs for the stay in Germany
Eligible for participation are:
- German university alumni from developing countries (DAC country nationals) who have stayed in Germany for at least three months for study or research purposes, and are
- Residents of DAC-countries, and are
- Working in the field of agricultural engineering and technology or similar disciplines, and are
- Multipliers, e.g. people who are in a position to spread the acquired knowledge and experience.
- Women are encouraged to apply!
– The time for applications ended November 15, 2014. –
The winter school will be held in English, hence English proficiency is essential to follow the presentations and participate in the discussions.
The program for the visit to the "BioFach" is prepared and separately financed by the DAAD.
The date of arrival in Germany will be February 2nd
2015 (arrival at Frankfurt International Airport, FRA).
The date of departure from Germany will be February 14th
2015 (departure from Frankfurt)
For any further questions please contact the organization team
Mrs. Vera Sternitzke
Steinstrasse 19, 37213 Witzenhausen, Germany
Fax: +49 (0) 5542 607 39
With your application you agree that your data (name, organization, email) is given to selected company representatives and that you might appear on pictures which will be published on the DAAD website after the event. With your application you commit yourself to participate in the whole program (winter school, conference visit and social program).